Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Third Little Weldy: Birth Story

You know how they say things happen in threes? They do. After the crazy that went down with Meredith at the beginning of the year, I assumed that having a baby would be our third big event.

Well. I was right. But I should have realized simply adding a new person to our family wouldn't be enough, that the actual HAVING him process was going to be straight up insane.

So, here we go, #thirdlittleweldy's birth story.

Monday night, January 19th, I was texting Sarah before bed. She was planning on driving up for labor and delivery to take pictures, and wanted to make sure the little guy wasn't planning on arriving that night. I assured her he absolutely wasn't going to make his debut. Heck, I'd even shaved my legs and painted my toe nails earlier in the evening, he wasn't coming out anytime soon. If you're ready labor never happens, right?

Wrong. All of two minutes later, my water broke mid-text. I immediately called Sarah, and after confirming that was what had really happened, she and Hannah jumped in the car and headed towards DFW. (3.5 hour drive from where they live.)

At this point I hadn't had a contraction. It was 10:30pm.

Feeling confident this was it, I called my Mom. She grabbed her go bag, woke my Dad to tell him good-bye, and headed out the door. I then woke Chris. Poor man, he had been tired all evening and feeling a little odd, so he had just taken a melatonin and gone to bed not thirty minutes before...just enough time for the melatonin to kick in fully.

I then hopped in the shower, because fresh hair is a must, while Chris loaded the car. Right before climbing into the shower, first contraction. 11:07pm.

Checking on the kids, we found self sufficient potty training Meri had quietly tried to change her own dirty diaper before falling asleep. Needless to say, her crib was a mess. A little voice in my head simply laughed as I woke her up for a change, stripped her bed, and moved her to the pack'n'play. Who has to deal with toddler poop mess while in labor?!

Contractions began to pick up quite quickly. I was wandering the house, adding things to our bags, tidying a little, pausing when a contraction began. I wasn't feeling rushed, and planned on leaving when my mom arrived, simply to get an epidural and labor in less pain. Chris and I had decided early on in this pregnancy that an epidural was the way to go for me. I progressed better with both older kids after the epidural, and this time we decided to get the epidural earlier in the process with the hope that it would shorten labor and allow us to come out of labor less exhausted.

Chris was looking a little green, but was still being a great support during contractions and only panicking a touch when they quickly moved to two minutes apart. They weren't exactly comfortable, so when my sweet, sweet friend Jeanne offered to come over and wait on my mom so we could leave for the hospital and I rapidly agreed.

(Side note: Jeanne has two kids under two, and when she got to my house she did the dishes and folded the laundry on the couch so my mom wouldn't walk into chaos. As far as friends go, she's a keeper. Get yourself a Jeanne, people, she's the best.)

Jeanne walked in the door and we pulled out of the garage. 12:30am.

Riding in a car during labor is lame. Rural roads are bumpy, also lame. There was some pretty significant whining going on as Chris sped towards the highway. Ten minutes later we made it to the highway (smooth roads!) and I breathed a sigh of relief, another forty minutes and I could get my epidural! Still not feeling rushed, just a lot of pain.

A few minutes later, the relief died. Chris said, "I think I'm going to vomit. You should call 911."

What?! No. That's not in the plan. Who calls 911 twice in as many weeks?? Apparently the Weldy's do, that's who. Chris pulled over, stumbled out of the car and proceeded to get violently sick on the side of the road. I got with the program and called, as there was no way I was going to be able to drive myself to the hospital.

Three contractions and six minutes later the Calvary arrived. Police first, followed by the fire department, and an ambulance. Thank goodness it was the middle of the night, or we would have created quite a show for passing traffic.

The police office addressed Chris first. "Are you okay?" Obviously not, he was on his knees in a pool of vomit. I opened the car door and the office got a good look at me, "Well, she ain't plopping one out." WHAT. Who says something like that?! And to a laboring pregnant lady? The little voice in my head started laughing again.

Thankfully the paramedics stepped up to assess the situation. During a contraction I heard a voice over my right shoulder, "Ma'am, are you okay?". I looked up to see a TWELVE YEAR OLD dressed in fireman pants. (He wasn't actually 12, but he sure looked it... 21, I asked.) The voice in my head kept laughing.

It was quickly decided--okay I told them--that we should head to the hospital. Onto the gurney and into the ambulance I went, leaving Chris on the side of the road, surrounded by police officers, vomiting. He later told me they kept questioning him mid puking bouts, "Are you guys fighting?" and "Don't worry man, I was stressed when we had our kid too." He was eventually able to drive himself home.

Once in the ambulance I took back that complaining I did in the car…apparently ambulances don't have shocks, because dang, talk about a rough ride. I know I got air a few times, but thankfully I was strapped to the gurney and didn't go flying off into the floor. The two paramedics in the back, let's call them 12-year-old and Austin, were very kind and let me squeeze the crap out of their hands during contractions. They managed to start an IV too, only blowing three veins in the process.

In the 27 minutes it took to get to Fort Worth, contractions continued to increase. From two minutes apart to a mere 45 seconds by the time we pulled into the emergency bay at the hospital. Austin was a total trooper and didn't even make a sound as I took out my woes on his hand, and trust me, I wasn't holding back. PAINFUL, very painful. I still wasn't feeling any urgency, but was grateful to have made it to the magical place where epidurals are possible. (Let me remind you, previous labors were 22 and 18 hours long. I was planning on setting up shop in a labor room and staying put for awhile.) Contractions were identical to what I had experienced with both older kids, I had no reason to assume this would be a faster process than before.

Into the hospital we went, only to find the emergency room is not even remotely close to labor and delivery. With an ER nurse leading the charge, off we went through the under ground halls, two paramedics pushing the gurney and the third running behind pulling my little suitcase on wheels. I'm sure we were a sight as we came flying into the labor triage area, the paramedics were very ready to hand me off to someone else…I was sad, whimpering, and flapping my hands like a wounded bird with each contraction. It's not pretty when Lydia is in pain people. 1:32am

The kind staff at Baylor had obviously seen this drama before and immediately waved us to a triage room. Austin and 12-year-old dropped my suitcase and ran, but the poor driver was trapped between the bed and the wall. There was no way out for him and since he wasn't going anywhere I latched onto his hand. A check revealed 8cm and fully effaced, so across the hall to a labor room we went, dragging the ambulance driver bodily with me. Ruth Ann, the charge nurse, asked if I wanted her the call the anesthesiologist? YES. ABSOLUTELY I DO.

Jessica, a labor nurse, and the hospital obstetrician, joined our group as I was wheeled into the room. The staff was moving at warp speed getting the room ready, and after another check people started shouting things like, "She's complete, lets have a baby!" and "Does anyone know her name?".

The voice in my head stopped laughing and started shouting, "No, no, NO! Epidural, someone get me an epidural! That was the PLAN. Stick to the plan people!" No one listened.

At this point I had been transitioned to the bed, lights were turned on, legs in the air--you can imagine the picture I'm sure. The ambulance driver was still in the room, trapped by my death grip on his hand. He took a seat near my head and turned to face the wall. At some point I had a break in contractions and asked him his name. He replied, "James.", and the entire room erupted in laughter. The poor man got a chance to abandon ship when Jessica stepped up to take his place, and he ran out of the room.

Pushing wasn't fun. That 'ring of fire' everyone talks about is very, very real. There might have been some rather loud vocalization involved, and at one point Jessica and Ruth Ann told me to can it and focus, which was exactly what I needed. Two pushes and the silly doctor actually told me to slow down. What. the. heck. This needs to be over! Slow down? Obviously the man has never had a baby. Two more pushes and out came Edison Louis, umbilical cord wrapped around his feet bungy cord style. It's like he had a heads-up that delivery was going to be quick and he had prepared just in case no one was there to catch him. He was born NINE minutes after arriving at the Labor and Delivery wing. 1:43am
Baby Ned, seven pounds and six ounces, 20 1/2 inches long.
The nurses were amazing, and when they realized I was by myself, they pulled out their cell phones of the first few moments of our little guy's life. I love that they knew it was important to me, and that I have those pictures.

Ruth Ann 
Signing admittance paperwork with Jessica AFTER he arrived.
Perfect squishy little man
They placed Ned on my chest, and the doctor looked up, "Where is Dad? Where did her husband go?". He assumed that James was my husband, couldn't handle the drama and had abandoned ship before cutting the cord. I filled him in, "We left him on the side of the road!" Pretty sure that won me (and Chris) some sympathy points.

The on-call doctor from my obstetrician's practice (same doctor that delivered Otto) arrived in time to help with clean up and to go track down my phone and suitcase. He gave me a kiss on the forehead, told me good job and to call my husband, which I happily did. Chris was shocked to learn that Edison was already here, but I think everyone was. Two and a half hours from first contraction to delivery was completely different from our previous two experiences!
My sisters arrived about 45 minutes later and stayed the night with me, not sleeping at all and taking these fantastic pictures.
HUGE shout out to Sarah for the pictures!
Chris joined us a few hours later, feeling much better.
Edison and his Dad!
All in all, I'm glad to have the experience of natural childbirth. Check it off the list please. If we have more children, (Ha! Three is a beautiful number to me right now.) We will 1.) need to live within walking distance of a hospital and 2.) I will try my best to make it in time for an epidural. The pain and absolute loss of control created chaos and I feel like I missed the actual birth. I wasn't able to hold him initially and was so lost in the massive throw down my body had just completed that the memories of his first few moments are missing. He had the same difficulties his older siblings did clearing his airway and the lower back pain I formerly assumed was from the epidural really wasn't. Nothing I worried about in the past was actually caused by getting an epidural. Get the epidural ladies, it makes the process more organized. You will still experience the intensity of delivery, but the sharp pain will be muted. You will be calm and focused, not afraid an involuntary twitch will make you drop your baby.
This guy was completely worth it and is surprisingly chill given the crazy way he came into this world. Let's hope he slows his roll a little in the future, I'd be just fine if he wanted to address life at a calmer pace. He is perfect in every way. His head shape and profile are reminiscent of his older brother, his cheeks are like his sister's, and he sneezes just like his Dad. He's a keeper.
I am so grateful for the amazing people we have in our life. Family has been wonderful, coming to stay and letting me grab a few naps, taking amazing pictures and loving on our big kids. Our church, friends, and neighbors have brought us dinners--we have felt so loved and appreciate everyone pitching in to take care of our little family. (Who am I kidding, we're downright midsized now;))
Welcome to our crazy life Edison! I have a feeling you're going to fit in just fine.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word! What a story! I thought Landry was quick with a 4 hour contraction to delivery time, but Ned clearly has her beat! Those third kids - they keep you guessing. (But, in the end, they turn out pretty perfect. ;)) Congrats on such a beautiful addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful. You are a boss, Lydia Weldy. Three kids is nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But my third took the longest!
    Funny story! Though I'm sorry, sounds crazy!
    You are a great writer though, loved it! He's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete