Thursday, April 18, 2013

Gaw-Gaw

Blogging really hasn't happened this month. My fault totally, I need to be better about regular updates. This is my kids baby book and how we document our family's memories. Lately, I just haven't had the motivation:( At the beginning of this month my paternal grandfather passed away, and that didn't help at all. Not something you want to blog about, you know? 

My Gaw-Gaw was a super sweet, very kind and quite man. In my opinion, he did it right. He lived a long and full life, had two sweet kids, a wife of 65 years, got to influence the lives of his nine grandchildren and meet two of his great-grandkids. He was patient and loved to garden; my favorite memories of visiting my father's parents are of my Gaw-Gaw's garden. In the last few years, his memory and physical health had started to fail him, and while he didn't really recognize the people around him anymore, he was happy and content. I think he knew that his life had been full and good, and that he didn't need to worry about where he was going. He passed away in his sleep, and while I am sad for my Dad, Aunt, and Nana, I'm happy for my Gaw-Gaw. He is whole now, with his body and memories restored. 
Otto and Gaw-Gaw in 2010
I am so glad that I have precious pictures, like the one above, of my littles with a man who loved them very much. Not everyone gets to meet their great-grandparents, and I am so glad that my children got to know my grandfather. Now, to get them to realize that genetically they have the ability to be gentle, orderly, and kind:)

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss. My grandparent are long gone, when my maternal grandfather died 23 yrs ago, I took it so hard, I was 14. My paternal grandfathers didn't know that we'll.

    The loss, I still the grieve the most' is the loss of my mom. She'll never see my children, she only had 2 grandchildren when she passed, she longed for more.

    Praying for you and your family during this time of grief. It WILL get easier.

    ReplyDelete