Sunday, June 26, 2011

Eleven Months!

...and one day. Apparently I've been off a day all week. Eek! So much for all the great sleep I've been getting this month (major progress in that category!) obviously it isn't doing any good. :)

But for kicks, because we celebrated by going to the pool and letting him eat a corn dog, let's pretend that today, and not yesterday, was Otto's eleven month birthanniversary, okay?

So like I said today we went to the pool, and predictably Otto loved it! Because it was the weekend there were lots of other people swimming and Otto did quite a lot of gawking at the older kids and their pool toys. We're going to have to find this boy some water toys!


Swimming is the best!

Otto has been all over the place this past month. He is into everything, and thinks he is big stuff. He is always underfoot and likes to 'help' in the kitchen, unloading the dishwasher (and the cabinets) is his specialty;)
Pretty much the only way to cook dinner these days is to give him his own spoon and pot to 'cook' with while I work. And if I don't get it out for him, he helps himself! Opening cabinets, toilets (ick!), and pulling the handles off drawers are his current favorite activities. He loves taking things apart and seeing how they work, future engineer maybe?
And the spoon's? BFF's. Big, little, he loves them all. We are down to two baby spoons because after a meal he will carry his utensil off and play with it. Hopefully I find his stash soon or we'll be back to eating with our fingers. He was using this kitchen spoon as a drumstick before his snack and wouldn't let go of it when I put him in the highchair. Peaches eaten with a giant spoon taste better.
And if he isn't carrying around an eating utensil, it's this little hammer. I prefer the days this guy is his friend because it's a little more baby safe:)
(Ten minutes into our day and he has already found the hammer)
After dinner most evenings we head outside and take a bath in the swimming pool. He loves splashing and it makes for easy clean up. He insists on feeding himself these days, and even tries to use his spoon correctly, which makes for a messy baby.
Spaghetti is delicious!
This month he has really started to comprehend what we saying and tries to communicate back. I'm working on a baby quilt for his room and had it spread out on the floor while measuring. Otto crawled over to investigate and when I explained that 'Mommy has a blanket on the floor!' (I'm really clever these days.) When he crawled away grinning I thought he had simply lost interest, but two seconds later he was back, dragging his lovey! He laid it on top of the quilt and smiled at me as if to say, 'Look! We both have blankets!'. Smart guy! I need to start giving him more credit!

He is also starting to tolerate milk products a little. Woohoo! Indirectly (through breastmilk) he is doing much better, and only gets a little gassy. In the last week I've had cheese and frozen yogurt (Braum's Cappuccino Chunky Chocolate, AMAZING! ) and let me tell you, the world is a better place because of milk products. Hopefully, with a slow introduction, in a few months he will be ready for whole milk. Cross your fingers!

I can hardly believe that in just four short weeks we will have a one year old. Fastest year of my life!

1 comment:

  1. Lydia, THANKS for sharing your adventures as a new wife & mother of an 11 month old! WOW! He is almost one year old!!! How can this be?!?! And, he looks like (from pics) he is getting ready to WALK. . .get your running shoes on!! It is a joy to see and read of the antics of Otto, Chris & Lydia as you, Adam Wood, & Jennie Fritz & Peter Cooke were all babies with my first baby! Whoa! Time to get off this thread!!! ;) Love ya'll bunches- ~mrs b

    ReplyDelete