Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Laundry Soap

 I think I might have crossed the line somewhere. I am now firmly in DIY land. Because, for real, who makes their own laundry soap? Umm, that would be me. :)

Here's what you need: (I found all of the ingredients at Kroger, silly Wal-mart only had Borax.)
I used this recipe, which I found blog hopping. The writer of the blog has two little boys, so this formula has to work!
Laundry Soap
1/3 bar of fels naptha
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax powder
 2 or 5 gallon bucket

Start by grating a 1/3 of the bar of Fels Naptha into a sauce pan. Add 6 cups of water and heat until dissolved. Continue heating and add borax and washing soda. (Stir slowly, remember you are working with soap!)When fully dissolved, remove from heat. 
Place 4 cups of hot water into your prepared bucket, then add stove top mixture. Stir, then add 22 cups of water. Stir slowly until combined. Cover (hopefully your bucket has a lid!) and leave for 24 hours. Ready to use! (She recommended stir/shaking before the first few uses and using 1/2 cup per load.)
Yield: TWO GALLONS!
I cheaped out on the bucket, and ended up with a kitchen that looked like this.
The good news is it cleaned up quickly because everything was already covered in soap!

I immediately poured my soap into mason jars so I could easily store it in my laundry room. I'll definitely be on the look out for a (decorative) bucket with a lid for next time; I made a mess transferring it!

So far, I like it. Smells great, and the two loads washed with it smell and look clean. Hopefully these results are consistent over time! Otto is sensitive when it comes to perfumes, so being able to control the ingredients is a plus. I've heard you can use any bar soap in place of the Fels Naptha, so if it doesn't agree with him we can try another type. Another cool fact is that all the supplies cost 6.89, and it makes several batches! I did the math...that's .04 cents a load! Sweet!

2 comments:

  1. You're a mess... A good mess, :) Haha, I hope it works for Ottoson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So DIY is "do it Yourself", sounds good and rather patriotic. Proud of you Lydia lady!

    ReplyDelete