Friday, August 6, 2010

Never leaving the house again.

Serious.

Today Otto and I ventured out into the world by ourselves. Now I know why he wanted to stay on the inside. The world is a scary place filled with crazy people. And idiots.

Because Otto turns two weeks old on a Sunday, the second half of his PKU screening needed to be completed today. I decided that if we were going to leave the house we might as well run to Target and grab a new brand of diapers to try and some more breast pads for me. Leaking through three layers of clothing is only funny at home. We were up, showered, dressed, fed, and ready to go by ten thirty. Out the door we went.

Strike one happened when we reached the vehicle. The super sized mirror that we had installed so I could watch him while driving had broken because of the heat. (Heat index of 110 today) My nerves ramped up a notch. As we were pulling out of the complex Otto decided to finish digesting breakfast; strike two. Once we got to Target, (even though I panicked the entire fourteen minute drive because Otto was super quiet and I couldn't see him) everything was great. Otto slept through the entire visit to the store and I got everything on the list!

Leaving Target we headed downtown for Otto's appointment. Because of traffic, it took us over an hour to get there. Strike three. Half way there Otto decided he was DONE with being in the car seat and needed to be fed NOW. Strike four. Enter screaming twelve day old. Which is really only cute for about five seconds. Then it's just horrible. Thirty minutes later, after rerouting several times, we made it to the hospital. At this point I was ready to cry too. Then I had to willing take my baby to an appointment where I knew they were going to torture him. Strike five. And the phlebotomist who did it? Soulless. And she looked a lot like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Seriously, she even had the small teeth. Strike six.

Otto did fantastically, and I didn't cry. And now we are home collecting sympathy points from Chris.

Positives for this day? I've now nursed in public twice and changed two incredibly messy diapers without getting sprayed or messing up Otto's outfit!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he's making you earn your SuperMom cape early on! ;) So sorry your day was so rough! Hoping your next one goes more smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm a new follower. Sounds like you did a fabulous job! I remember those days. My little man is 7 months old today. Time really does fly. Hang in there, he'll be walking and talking before you know it.

    ReplyDelete